Black Oxide Plating
This procedure creates a black finish on the ferrous metal base material by immersing it in hot oxidizing salts or salt solutions.
- Black Finish
- Protective Coating
- Maintains original component dimensions without build up
- Finished coating will retain an oil film
Black Oxide Plating Capabilities
- Type of Plating
- Black Oxide Plating
- Provides a protective coating while maintaining the existing dimensions of the part or component. Finished coating will retain an oil film. Also adds black color to component.
- Process Approvals
- For Black Oxide Plating we adhere to:
- MIL-DTL-13924: Coating, Oxide, Black, For Ferrous Metals
- MIL-DTL-13924 (PDF - 50KB)
- A black finish on the base material is produced by immersing it in oxidizing salt or salt solutions.
- Base Materials Worked
- These specifications focus on black oxide plating of all ferrous metals (Iron and Steel).
- Plating Class
- The Black Oxide Plating should be of the following classes:
- Class 1 = Alkaline oxidizing process (for wrought iron, cast and malleable irons, plain carbon, and low alloy steels).
- Class 2 = Alkaline chromate oxidizing process (for use on certain corrosion resistant steel alloys which are tempered at less than 900°F (482°C)).
- Class 3 = Fused salt oxidizing process (for corrosion resistant steel alloys which are tempered at 900°F (482°C) or higher).
- Class 4 = Alkaline oxidizing process (for other corrosion resistant steel alloys).
- All black oxide plating processes are performed manually to ensure the proper care is given to each step.
- Additional Operations
offer several additional operations that may be required for your
product: Cleaning, Magnetic Particle Inspection (NDT), Penetrant
Inspection (NDT), Hardness & Conductivity Testing (NDT), Dry
Film/Solid Film Lubricants and Primer & Topcoat Painting.
Please let us know if you require any of these additional services.
- Quality Control
- All plating processes are subject to our rigorous Quality Assurance process. All work is reviewed and inspected to be in compliance with the specification (Process Approval requested).
- Industries Served
- We are committed to providing the aerospace and defense industries with the highest quality metal finishing, testing, and painting available.
- Environmental Responsibility
a corporate citizen, we are committed to responsibly protecting our
environment. We have a state-of-the-art $2 Million Waste Prevention
System in place. All hazardous waste materials are 100% recycled and
We know that this is important to you, and so we maintain an open door policy concerning environmental inspections of our facility.
- With over 50 years in the metal finishing industry, we have the expertise you can depend on.
- Minimum Order
- We can provide black oxide plating for prototype to high volume runs.
- Drawing Submissions
- We accept both e-mailed (DWG, DXF, PDF, all image files) and faxed drawings.
- Special Instructions
- Please Attach Drawing to Request Information Form.